Sticky upside-down banana cake :
- 80g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 4 large bananas
- 240g plain flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 300g golden caster sugar
- 120g unsalted butter, very soft
- 3 large eggs
- 150ml soured cream
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and lightly grease a deep 23cm round cake tin, lining the base with baking parchment.
- To make the topping, put the butter and sugar in a small saucepan and cook over a medium heat until melted and combined. Add the vanilla and mix together. Pour the caramel into the cake tin and spread in an even layer. Cut the bananas in half lengthways and arrange on top of the caramel, cut-side down.
- To make the batter, put all the ingredients in a large bowl with 1/4 tsp salt. Use an electric mixer to beat together on a low speed until the batter is smooth and evenly mixed. Pour the batter on top of the bananas and level out with a spatula. Bake in the oven for 55 mins-1 hr or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. If the cake begins to look too dark, cover with foil after 45 mins. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins before turning out onto a plate. Best served warm but also delicious at room temperature. Best eaten within 2 days.