Lobster and Shrimp Mac and Cheese :
- 12 ounces fusilli or rotini pasta
- 4 frozen lobster tails*, thawed (about 1 ½ lbs frozen)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ lb large raw shrimp, about 12, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
- 4 ounces creamy jack, gouda or gruyere cheese, freshly grated
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chives for garnish.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot, add pasta and cook 1 minute less than instructed on the box. Drain and return to pot. Stir in a little olive oil to keep pasta from sticking. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Pull lobster tails out of shells leaving the tab at the end intact, and lay the tail on top of the shell piggyback style. Drizzle each tail with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 12-15 minutes until an instant-read thermometer registers 140-145°F. Let cool.
- While pasta is cooking and lobster tails are roasting, bring stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Add shrimp, cover completely and remove from heat. Poach shrimp 2 minutes until just opaque in the center.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm. Reserve ½ cup of stock to thin sauce as needed.
- When lobster and shrimp are cool enough to handle, chop into chunks. Set aside in a medium bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Pour milk into a small saucepan to get warm, but do not let it boil. Melt butter in a 5-quart, high-rimmed saucepan or heavy large pot over medium heat. Add flour and cook 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Slowly whisk in the hot milk in a steady stream. Cook mixture 2 more minutes until bubbly and thickened, stirring frequently.
- Turn heat to low and add the cheeses. Stir until melted and smooth. Sauce will be thick at this point. Stir in reserved stock 1-2 tablespoons at a time until desired cream sauce consistency. Add nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fold the cooked pasta, lobster and shrimp into the cheese sauce. Let mixture warm and flavors meld for a few minutes while stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and transfer to serving bowl. Garnish with chives. Enjoy.