Creamy Potato Soup :
- 1 pound thick cut bacon , diced
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes , diced
- 3 ribs celery , diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced tarragon , or 1 tsp dried
- 1 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced chives (optional)
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add in diced bacon and cook until crispy, stirring occasionally. Use a slotted spoon to remove crispy bacon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Remove excess bacon grease from skillet, leaving just 1 tablespoon of grease in the pot.
- Return pot to medium-high heat. Add in onion and saute 7 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add in butter and garlic and stir until butter is melted. Stir in flour and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth and milk. Add in celery and potato and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue simmering until potatoes are soft and tender, about 15 minutes.
- Once potatoes are tender, stir in sour cream and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot topped with cooked bacon, chives, and an additional dollop of sour cream.