Mom’s Chicken and Rice Soup :
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium white onion , diced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sear chicken breasts in olive oil for 2 minutes per side until golden brown, but not cooked through. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pot. Add in onion, carrots, and celery and saute 4-5 minutes. Add in rice, ginger, and garlic and toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Return chicken to pot. Pour in chicken broth and season with thyme and oregano. Simmer for 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Use tongs to remove chicken from pot. Shred and return to pot. Pour in heavy cream (if using). Cook for an additional 5 minutes, until rice and vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.