Christmas Gingerbread Cake :
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups molasses
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 2 8 ounce blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease three 9-inch round pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter, sugar, molasses, warm water, buttermilk, and eggs. Whisk in ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Slowly add in flour and mix until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared baking pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans for 5 to 10 minutes before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, make your frosting by beating butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Beat in vanilla extract until just combined. Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired frosting consistency.
- Layer the cake together, frosting between layers as well as the top and outside of the cake.