Shrimp Cocktail with Cocktail Sauce :
- 1 pound raw shrimp
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 cup ketchup or chili sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1-2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Rinse shrimp and set aside. Fill a separate bowl with 4 cups ice and water for after the shrimp is cooked.
- Devein the shrimp. Use kitchen shears or a pairing knife to slice a 1/4-inch deep slit into the back of your shrimp. Use the tip of a knife or a toothpick to pull out the black vein. Not all shrimp will have a black vein which is nothing to worry about. Keep the shells on for cooking for maximum flavor.
- Fill a small pot or large saucepan with water. Squeeze lemon juice into the water and add in the lemon itself. Season the water with salt and black peppercorns. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, add in the shrimp. Cook 2 to 2 1/2 minutes until shrimp turn pink and are no longer translucent. Drain the shrimp and immediately transfer to the prepared ice water to stop the cooking process and cool quickly. Remove the peels from the shrimp. Refrigerate cooked shrimp until ready to serve.
- For the cocktail sauce, in a small bowl whisk together ketchup (or chili sauce), lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, horseradish, and 1 to 2 dashes of tabasco sauce. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve shrimp cold with cocktail sauce for dipping.