Old Fashioned Homemade Eggnog :
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream or half and half for a light version
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Put the milk, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and 1/2 tsp vanilla into a large saucepan. Put it over the lowest heat setting on your stove for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat under the milk up to medium-high heat. Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Slowly whisk in about 1/4 of the hot milk into the egg/sugar mixture. Then pour all of the egg/sugar mixture back into the saucepan and whisk it all together. Put it over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes. It will thicken a bit.
- Pour the hot eggnog into a large bowl or beverage container and let cool at room temperature for 1 hour. Add cinnamon sticks back in (optional).
- After 1 hour, stir in the heavy cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and nutmeg. Store in the fridge and allow to cool for at least 4 hours before serving.