Classic Bechamel Sauce :
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper , or to taste
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add in flour and increase heat to medium. Whisk together and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in milk, whisking to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and whisk constantly while it heats. Just as it comes to a simmer, it will thicken up and should be just thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Season by stirring in nutmeg, salt, and white pepper to taste. Serve hot.