Creamy Chicken Tetrazzini :
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound linguine pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion , diced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms , sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add 1 TB olive oil to pan and cook chicken, 5 to 7 minutes per side, until cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove chicken from pan, dice, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 9×13 pan.
- Cook linguine for 2 minutes less than the package directions as the pasta will continue to soften in the oven.
- Add 2 TB olive oil to the skillet where the chicken was cooked and return to a medium-high heat. Add in onion and cook until just starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add in mushroom slices and continue cooking until mushrooms and onions are both soft.
- Add butter in with mushrooms and onions and let melt. Stir in flour until combined. Add in garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Pour in milk and chicken broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Just as it reaches a simmer the mixture should thicken. Stir in frozen peas and diced chicken, then immediately reduce the heat to low and stir in cream cheese until melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Stir cooked pasta in with the sauce until combined then transfer it all to the prepared 9×13 pan. In a small bowl, use a fork to toss together panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and 3 tsp olive oil until combined. Sprinkle evenly on top of the pasta in the pan.
- Bake in the preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until the crumbs on top are golden brown. Serve hot.