Indian Fry Bread :
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1 ½ or more cups hot water
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Gradually add in the water, mixing with a spoon or your hands until combined. It will be sticky.
- Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of oil over the dough to keep it from drying out. Cover and let rest 2 hours. This is not a risen dough so the dough will not rise, but it does need to rest.
- Pull off golf ball sized pieces of dough and stretch or roll out until very thin, without ripping it. The thinner the better.
- Pour enough vegetable oil into a pot to cover it with 2 inches of oil. Heat to 350 degrees F.
- Working one at a time, fry the dough in the hot oil until golden brown, flipping halfway through. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.