Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Filling, Whipped Chocolate Ganache, and Crushed Pretzel :
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peanut Butter Cream Filling
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Whipped Chocolate Ganache
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 34 pretzels crushed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Recipe makes 24 cupcakes so you may have to cook it in batches unless you have two muffin tins.
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl to make sure everything got mixed in.
- Fill each cupcake 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the cupcakes meet the toothpick test (stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean). Remove from tins and cool completely.
- Make the peanut butter cream filling by combining the peanut butter, melted butter, and powdered sugar in a bowl using a hand mixer. Transfer the filling to a pastry bag with a large open tip. Insert the tip into the top of the cooled cupcakes and squeeze about 1 teaspoon of filling into the cupcake. If you inject too much it may split the cake.
- Make the frosting by heating the heavy cream in a small saucepan until it just begins to simmer. Pour over the chocolate chips. The heat of the cream will melt the chocolate chips. Let it stand for a couple minutes before stirring, then stir until smooth. Let it cool to room temperature. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip it until it is firm enough to hold a shape. Pipe it onto the cooled and stuffed cupcakes in whatever fashion you think is cute. I just use a plain swirl. Top with crushed pretzel.