Oven Roasted Peruvian Chicken :
- 3 to 4 pound whole chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
Peruvian Green Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup fresh cilantro loosely packed
- 1 to 2 jalapenos
- 1 tablespoons aji Amarillo paste*
- 2 tablespoons grated cotija cheese**
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Chicken
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place the chicken on a roasting pan rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt, cumin, paprika, sugar, pepper, and oregano. Use your fingers to loosen the skin around each end opening. Spoon some of the spice mixture under the skin so the flavors get in direct contact with the meat. Brush the outside of the chicken with some of the mixture as well. Optional, use kitchen string to tie the drumsticks together.
- Roast in the 475 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, reduce temperature to 350 degrees. Continue roasting until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 1 hour, 15 minutes. Baste the chicken periodically for maximum moisture.
- Let chicken rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve hot with Peruvian Dipping Sauce.