Sunday Pork Roast :
- 3 to 5 pound pork shoulder or butt roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 large white onions cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Rub oil onto pork roast. In a small bowl, stir together salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Sprinkle seasoning mixture onto pork roast. Place fatty side up in a roasting pan or large cast iron dutch oven.
- Roast, uncovered, in the 450 degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue cooking an additional 1 hour.
- Remove roast from oven and place the onion chunks, carrots, and potatoes around the meat. Pour apple juice on vegetables. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Place rosemary sprig on top.
- Cook an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until vegetables are tender and meat shreds easily with a fork. Season vegetables with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.