Zucchini Lasagna :
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large white onion minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley divided
Zucchini and Cheese
- 3 large zucchini
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 30 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in ground sausage and ground beef. Use a spoon to break up the meat into small pieces. Add in onion and garlic and cook until meat is well browned, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar, fresh basil, fennel, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup chopped parsley. Pour in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until ready to assemble lasagna.
- Meanwhile, cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/8-inch thick strips. Place zucchini into a large colander. Sprinkle with salt to draw out moisture. Rinse and pat dry.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and nutmeg. Refrigerate until ready to assemble lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a deep 9×13 pan.
- To assemble, spread about 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Place a layer zucchini noodles on top to cover the bottom of the pan. Spread with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with 1/4 of mozzarella cheese. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, then sprinkle with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Repeat layering two more times to create three complete layers. To finish, place a final layer of zucchini, topped with another 1 cup of meat sauce to cover the zucchini. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes until cheese is bubbling and browned. Serve hot. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.